Thursday, September 30, 2010

Time to pick up the Vanagon T3

Well, I got the call, The Van is here, or there, depending on how you look at it. I'm in the border between Tennessee and Kentucky, the van....well the van was shipped to St Louis Missouri. Now I have to find a way to get from a small town in the middle of two states to a major city in the middle of two completely different states. I have to make my way 260miles thats 418.4 for the metric guys, then drive the unproven almost 30 year old Vanagon T3 with over 2k miles on the odo, all the way back, no tools, no spare parts, no nothing. I only have till Friday before storage fees start, today is Thursday, I feel like I'm in some contest.

I thought about hitchhiking my way there, this has tremendous promise of being a lot of fun, the down side of it is, I cant control when I get there, I need to arrive Friday morning, so I didn't consider this option for long.

Option two is, fly there, I can catch a cab to the shuttle terminal, from the shuttle terminal I can ride a van to the Nashville Air port, an hour and a half away, fly into ST Luis and catch another cab the 21 miles to the Overseas Vehicle Processing Station. and then drive back.

Or three, catch a Greyhound bus, I can take a cab to the bus station in town, ride the bus to ST Louis then take a cab to the VPC.

Based on my past experiences.....I'm taking the bus, I'm considering it a cross between hitchhiking and flying. If this bus is anything like the last bus I got on, this should be a heck of a lot of fun. I think its the closest I can get to hitchhiking and still control when I get there. I expect to meet and see some interesting individuals in a six hour bus ride. The great unknown still remains how will the Vanagon T3 behave, she does have a peculiar sense of humor, I just hope this time, the joke, is not on me.