Saturday, August 28, 2010

The VW is working great

Well, the WV Vanagon is behaving well, this makes me really nervous. I have gotten used to it breaking about every week now. I think the reason it hasn't broken down in over 3 weeks is because just about every component and sensor has been looked at. I even redid the wiring harness, everything but the engine and transmission has been replaced or repaired. So I essentially have a 200K miles 30 year old  new car. In hindsight I think I should have gotten a newer vehicle, but it has been a fun and challenging process in getting the van from the obscene state of disrepair I bought it in, into its now near restored condition. I keep telling myself that the long arduous process of getting the van ready for its intended purpose of base camp adventure vehicle has given me an advantage in self sufficiency. I can diagnose or repair any malfunction confidently. And I have all the special tools and spare parts I would need to do the repairs to the components that are most likely to fail. At least thats what I keep telling myself.